while i was attempting to fall asleep last night i thought of some recent advice i had received and started taking stock of all the things i did during week 1 of quarantine and realized this could be an interesting little project during this time. it will evolve each week but will remain mostly the same.
so here we go with all the things i did during week 1 of quarantine.
having nights and evenings free means i have lots of extra time for reading, and i finished two books last week.
- to repair the world by paul farmer
- you look like a thing and i love you by janelle shane
i am trying really hard to not just sit on the couch and get sucked into the tv, but i am allowing myself an episode or two each day and a movie over the weekend. i also downloaded disney+, so this might look a lot different in the weeks to come.
- seinfeld, season 6 [almost finished!] on hulu
- three identical strangers on hulu
one of the things i am prioritizing is getting takeout from some of my favorite local restaurants to make sure they are continuing to get some business. below are the places i got food from last week.
- kwik chek
- central bbq
- india palace
in addition to restaurants, i am trying to support local businesses where possible. last weekend was supposed to be the memphis modern market; since it had to be cancelled it was held as a pop-up on instagram instead so i picked up some goodies from that.
donations / volunteering.
there are lots of organizations who need donations right now to keep their essential programs running, so i gave money where i could. sending a huge shoutout to the ymca for taking over meal distribution for shelby county schools students to ensure they will still receive their breakfast and lunch.
- midsouth food bank
- dorothy day house
- lunch for scs students [which i did yesterday on a different laptop and now can’t find the link to, but if i do i will update it!]
- global cafe meals for healthcare workers
- wellness checks for mifa seniors [if meals on wheels has to be suspended]
i didn’t do as much cooking last week as i would have liked, but that will be more of a priority in the coming weeks.
- instant pot bolognese from damn delicious, with some modifications based on what i had at home
one thing that is keeping me relatively sane is getting outside for a bit each day for some physical activity. it changes each day based on the weather and my mood, but the fresh air and exercise is doing wonders for my mental health.
- walked or ran every day except thursday
- joined key sports’ covid-19 challenge on facebook
one small silver lining of all of this is that it has allowed extra time to catch up with friends both near and far. with all of our schedules suddenly being free, it has opened the door for us to connect in new ways.
- porch dinner with amy
- facetime dinner date with chris and jessi
- morning walk with neva
- porch happy hour at neva and mark’s
- porch hang with ali
- porch drinks with chrystal and pat
[realizing these will all have to move to virtual hangs beginning this week. i’m bummed to lose the in-person connection but am looking forward to finding new ways to connect]
i have a list of things i’d like to get done around the house these next few weeks and am trying to tackle a few each weekend as i can.
- changed my sheets
- moved all the goodwill bags out of my room and into the car
and that’s week 1. stay tuned for what i get myself into this week, and please share ways that you are keeping yourself occupied.
remember: we get through this together.
3 thoughts on “taking stock: quarantine, week 1.”