in january 2017 i purchased kid president’s guide to being awesome. i have loved watching kid president’s videos over the years, and i knew this book would be an instant pick-me-up. however, being me, i promptly placed it on my bookshelf and forgot about it. every few months i would see it and think i needed to actually crack it open, but i always found some excuse not to.
well, not anymore. over the next few years, i am going to read through the guide and complete as many of the tasks as possible in my attempt to make the world around me better. i will write about each one as i complete it and will link back to all the posts on here so that you can follow along.*
here is the full list:
chapter 1: life is what happens when you put down your phone
- put down your phone
- take brain pictures
- relax. don’t sweat the small stuff. life is short and deodorant is expensive
- be less busy and be more awesome
- let’s live in a world with more high fives
- bring awesome back [like justin timerlake]
- if it doesn’t make the world better, don’t do it
chapter 2: focus on the awesome
- focus on the awesome
- look for what matters [yash gupta, sight learning]
- as human beings, we are capable of lots of bad stuff, but also cupcakes
- complain less. celebrate more
- get out there!
- every time you see a slide, go down it
- sing out loud. you don’t have to have a reason to
- LAUGH! help end global sadness
- follow your passion [jack andraka, teen inventor]
chapter 3: treat everybody like it’s their birthday
- treat everybody like it’s their birthday
- mail your friend a corndog
- have a pizza delivered to someone you disagree with [bob goff, u.s. honorary consul to uganda]
- every room you enter? FREE HUGS!
- if you see spinach [or anything else] in somebody’s teeth, tell them, but only after you’ve told them something embarrassing about yourself
- we need to live in a world with fewer selfies and more otherpeoplies
- practice the art of the unexpected burrito
- recognize real beauty [madison hill, miss fabulous pageant]
- celebrate somebody’s birthday by celebrating other people
- two words: “share”
- sacrifice. let someone else have the toy in the cereal
- be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody
chapter 4: talk gooder!
- talk gooder
- listen [more than you talk]
- ask questions
- stand in someone else’s shoes [metaphorically] [julia stiles]
- leave notes complimenting people on how well they parked
- connect with people
- ask people if they remember being a kid
- make laughter your official language [monique coleman]
chapter 5: wanna be a world changer? be a day maker!
- if you want to be a world changer for people everywhere, be a day maker for the people right next to you
- send a card. every day. for 365 days
- be confident. it’s contagious [nick hornby]
- find your light [and share it] [josh groban]
- be cool to people even if they’re not cool to you, becuse somebody was probably not cool to them
- paint a park bench [christian bucks, the buddy bench]
- ask your best friend for help [catlyn watkins and addison pointer, handy lunches]
- invent a new handshake
- solve a conflict using ice cream!
- be fruitful [katie stagliano, katie’s krops]
- tip big, yo
- high five your dentist
- declare an entire month something awesome [aaron reddin, the one]
- write letters [sharon li, we care act]
- think more like a kid [ryan hreljac, ryan’s well]
- think of something you want to say, and then sing it instead [the gregory brothers]
- write and record a song for someone
- help somebody who is younger than you
- read. then read some more [adele ann taylor, adele’s literacy library]
- love changes everything, so fill the world with it
chapter 6: be a party!
- don’t be in a party. be a party
- be like cheese [or bacon] and make everything you touch better
- throw a parade!
- throw a pop-up art show [bailey hazouri, community worker]
- take someone’s photo and hand-deliver it to them [jeremy cowart, help-portrait]
- give the world a reason to dance [it’s everybody’s duty to do that]
- put tape on your nose. it’s a great conversation starter
- come up with names for things that already have names
- meow the words to your favorite songs. we call this cat caroling [craig robinson]
- behold the power of positive partying [andrew w.k.]
- spread confetti [the earth-friendly kind]!
- be kind. it’s not always easy, but it’s always important
- write a poem for somebody who doesn’t normally get poems written about them
- gather your friends, dress up like superheroes, and do someone’s yard work
- wear something awesome [moziah bridges, mo’s bows]
- invent a dance
- join a movement!
chapter 7: make something!
- make something awesome!
- start with your heart and then just start [vivienne harr, make a stand]
- be generous. give! [jeff shinabarger, gift card giver]
- use your imagination! [nirvan mullick, caine’s arcade]
- spend time with your family! [lennon and maisy stella]
- broadcast the good news around you
- start simple [cassandra lin, project tgif]
- do what you like, and share it with others [sam and ben tollison, a monster to love]
- give out handmade awards
chapter 8: lick the walls of the white house
- lick the walls of the white house
- take a moment to reflect
- kiss beyonce
- let your heroes know they are your heroes
- teachers keep teaching. students keep studenting [arne duncan]
chapter 9: it’s okay to get discouraged. it’s not okay to stop
- it’s okay to get discouraged…
- ask “who do i want to be?” [jeff foxworthy]
- help someone propose
- don’t get tired. get inspired
- remember: things don’t have to be the way they are [martin luther king iii]
- take care of yourself, so you can take care of others [michelle obama]
chapter 10: change the future
- change the future
- team up! together we’re louder [kevin olusola]
- look backwards and forwards [ndaba mandela]
- dream bigger [ron garan]
- write down your dreams
- remember that the world is bigger than your backyard
- start writing on a page and then lose track of…
bonus chapter! life is like a really good sandwich. fill it with the good stuff
- life is like a really good sandwich. fill it with the good stuff
- be your own beyonce
- create your own presidential cabinet!
- be the cool table
- let bass and treble be friends
- be a solution. don’t be a problem
- deal with the lemons
- plant a tree!
- throw kindness around like confetti!
- if you love something, share it!
anyone out there want to play along?
*i could have gone in order, but what would have been the fun in that?