tomorrow i am heading off to sri lanka for a much-anticipated holiday! i have been looking forward to this trip for months, so today i thought i would share eight reasons i am looking forward to my eight-day holiday.
- exploring a new place. sri lanka has intrigued me for a number of years, and i am looking forward to finally having a chance to see it for myself. i want to learn about the history and architecture of the island, and i want to spend some time getting to know a new place.
- seafood! i am a big fan of seafood, and i can’t wait to spend the better part of the next week gobbling it all up.
- catching up on reading + writing. i have fallen woefully behind on my reading and my journaling. i’ve let work get the best of me, and i was sick for most of last week, so i let those things slide. i plan on using this holiday to get back into both activities.
- unplugging. one of the things i am most looking forward to is going off the grid for a few days. i am leaving my laptop at home, i am setting up an out-of-office reply in my email, and i am not doing anything work-related for an entire week. i can’t wait.
- train travel. it’s been a long time since i had myself a nice train ride, so i am looking forward to hopping on trains to get myself from colombo to galle and then from galle to kandy. i can’t wait to spend a few hours staring out the window.
- staying in a hotel + pampering myself. i’ve booked myself a variety of accommodation, from a shared dorm in a hostel in galle to a nice hotel in colombo. i figure it will be nice to try out a few different kinds of accommodation, and it will also be nice to pamper myself for a few days. my hotel in colombo offers in-room massages, so you better believe i’ll be treating myself to one of those!
- meeting new people. one of my favourite parts of travelling is meeting new people, and this trip will be no exception. i will have plenty of time to myself, but i am also hopeful that i will meet some interesting people, particularly in galle and kandy.
- a proper holiday. this will be my first full-on holiday since i started working for zaya at the beginning of the year. yes, i had a week off in august for balaji’s wedding, but with multiple events and family in from across the world, it wasn’t necessarily restful. i am looking forward to disconnecting and making my own schedule and just generally relaxing a whole lot over the next week.
the next time you see me, i will hopefully have explored some hidden corners of sri lanka, read at least 3 books, and stuffed my face with lots of yummy food.